Accessed 3 Dec. 2020. Write. However, the word " epistrophe" is defined by Merriam-Webster as " the repetition of a word or expression at the end of successive phrases, clauses, sentences, or verses especially for rhetorical or poetic effect . " Definition . Authors use techniques like epistrophe to add rhythm and emphasis to their writing. Epistrophe serves the purpose of creating emphasis and creating rhythm. Fortunately, the jet lag hasn’t hit much since coming home, but it was a great weekend. Meaning: Repetition of the ends of two or more successive sentences, verses, etc. 13 Oct. 2015. Anaphora works as a literary device to allow writers to convey, emphasize, and reinforce meaning. Epistrophe is the counterpoint to anaphora. An anaphora is a rhetorical device in which a word or expression is repeated at the beginning of a number of sentences, clauses, or phrases. Epistrophe definition: repetition of a word at the end of successive clauses or sentences | Meaning, pronunciation, translations and examples Related to transferred epithet and also known as hyperbaton, transcensio, transgressio, and tresspasser, the term derives from Greek and meaning "turning upside down". Also called epiphora. by Liz Bureman | 2 comments. epistrophe: 1 n repetition of the ends of two or more successive sentences, verses, etc. 2. Epistrophe." 1). What is the difference between anaphora and epistrophe? As Caesar loved me, I weep for him. It is therefore likely that Monk coined the word to mean the use of repeated sounds at the end of a musical line. Hypernyms ("epistrophe" is a kind of...): repetition (the repeated use of the same word or word pattern as a rhetorical device) definition Structural Elements Introduction ellipsis Parallelism Polysyndeton Repetition thesis anadiplosis anaphora Body use of commentary epanalepsis use of evidence epistrophe Rhetorical Fragment Rhetorical Question Analysis of a Text Meaning and Effect related to parts of speech, phrases, clauses, sentences, and syntax Sometimes called epiphora, this direct counterpart to anaphora involves repetition at the end of successive clauses or sentences. Usage, Warnings, etc: This device, like conduplicatio, helps emphasize a certain word and can build a … Who is here so vile that will not love his country? This type of rhetorical device is also referred to as "epiphora." Last Wednesday through Sunday, I went to Reykjavik, Iceland with some friends thanks to Groupon. Our Word of the Year 'pandemic,' plus 11 more. Anaphora and Epistrophe: Two Rhetorical Devices You See Everywhere. Epistrophe An Introduction to Epistrophe. Epistrophe. Epistrophe (eh-PiSS-truh-FEE): Figure of repetition that occurs when the last word or set of words in one sentence, clause, or phrase is repeated one or more times at the end of successive sentences, clauses, or phrases. conotation: Definition. eh-PI-stro-fee. While the definition of anaphora is that the repetition comes at the beginning of adjacent clauses, repetition in epiphora comes at the end of clauses. As Caesar loved me, I weep for him. • EPISTROPHE (noun) Sense 1. Here’s a quick and simple definition: Epistrophe is a figure of speech in which one or more words repeat at the end of successive phrases, clauses, or sentences. ", Greek epistrophē, literally, turning about, from epi- + strophē turning — more at strophe. Because epistrophe is a rhetorical device, it should only be used in situations that are artistic and creative rather than technical venues where clean, literal language is … Anaphora and Epistrophe: Two Rhetorical Devices You See Everywhere. epistrophe definition is - repetition of a word or expression at the end of successive phrases, clauses, sentences, or verses especially for rhetorical or poetic effect (such as Lincoln's 'of the people, by the people, for the people'). Subscribe to America's largest dictionary and get thousands more definitions and advanced search—ad free! Learn a new word every day. so am I.” n epistrophe In music, in a cyclic composition, the original concluding melody, phrase, or section, when repeated at the end of the several divisions; a refrain. Epistrophe is effective in passages that are emotionally-compelling, important, and powerful. A good example comes from the Bible: “When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things.” Symploce. Example: “[BRUTUS] Had you rather Caesar were living and die all slaves, than that Caesar were dead, to live all free men? Example: “ [BRUTUS] Had you rather Caesar were living and die all slaves, than that Caesar were dead, to live all free men? ". For other posts in the series, please click this link.For a comprehensive, step-by-step overview of how to write a speech outline, please see this post. Web. Philosophy. 2. Usage, Warnings, etc: This device, like conduplicatio, helps emphasize a certain word and can build a … so am I. Ending a series of lines, phrases, clauses, or sentences with the same word(s). The definition of apostrophe as a literary device is when a speaker breaks off from addressing one party and instead addresses a third party. Test. PLAY. Epistrophe and polysyndeton 1. Rhetorical DevicesBy Hana R. and Emma B. ... the dictionarys definition of a word: Term. . Also known as epiphora and antistrophe . Epistrophe is a rhetorical term for the repetition of a word or phrase at the end of successive clauses. Definition of epistrophe. Note: Also "Antistrophe. When observed keenly, the use of ephistrophe examples create a particular pattern and gives rise to an ease of familiarity. the emotional meaning attatched to a … It is also known as epiphora and occasionally as antistrophe. However, the word " epistrophe" is defined by Merriam-Webster as " the repetition of a word or expression at the end of successive phrases, clauses, sentences, or verses especially for rhetorical or poetic effect . " As is the case with anaphora, speakers should be careful not to overuse epistrophe. epiphora repetition - the repeated use of the same word or word pattern as a rhetorical device 'Simile' and 'metaphor' are just the beginning. (in Neoplatonism) the realization … In rhetoric, a rhetorical device, persuasive device, or stylistic device is a technique that an author or speaker uses to convey to the listener or reader a meaning with the goal of persuading them towards considering a topic from a perspective, using language designed to encourage or provoke an emotional display of a given perspective or action. Anaphora and epiphora (also known as epistrophe) are related concepts in that they both are techniques involving repetition. The reverse of an epistrophe is an anaphora, which is the repetition of words at the beginning of a phrase, clause, verse, or sentence. By signing up, you'll get thousands of step-by-step solutions to your homework questions. It is also known as epiphora and occasionally as antistrophe.It is a figure of speech and the counterpart of anaphora.It is an extremely emphatic device because of the emphasis placed on the last word in a phrase or sentence. The definition of epizeuxis is the repetition of a word or phrase in quick succession. Answer to: What is epistrophe? ... Epistrophe. The " trope of obsession" is how Mark Forsyth characterizes epistrophe. A good example comes from the Bible: “When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things.” Symploce. Antistrophe is a derivative of a Greek word that means “turning back.” It is a rhetorical device that involves the repetition of the same words at the end of consecutive phrases, clauses, sentences, and paragraphs. In his Gettysburg Address, Abraham Lincoln urged the American people to ensure that, "government of the people, by the people, for the people ,shall not perish from the earth." Can you spell these 10 commonly misspelled words? The Tragedy of Julius Caesar. But, as he was ambitious, I slew him. Epistrophe (Greek: ἐπιστροφή, "return") is the repetition of the same word or words at the end of successive phrases, clauses or sentences. by Liz Bureman | 2 comments. Example: "I swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth." Epistrophe is a rhetorical terms for the repetition of a word or a phrase used at the end of a clause or a sentence. Symploce: Combines both anaphora and epistrophe Epistrophe is a powerful tool of persuasion and pathos. Epitheton: Very common figure that uses adjacent adjective-noun or adjectival phrase forms to characterize and/or amplify (positively or negatively) a person, thing, attribute, or quality; the use of a qualifying word or phrase to further describe something (e.g., "fun ride," "bad omen," "cheerful giver," "harsh mistress"). ... something as a whole. : repetition of a word or expression at the end of successive phrases, clauses, sentences, or verses especially for rhetorical or poetic effect (such as Lincoln's "of the people, by the people, for the people") — compare anaphora. Synonyms: epiphora; epistrophe. If any, speak--, . London, England: Edward Blount and William Jaggard. N.p., n.d. It is an extremely emphatic device because of the emphasis placed on the last word in a phrase or sentence. Rhetorical Devices ARIZONA jEFFERSON. The combination of anaphora and epiphora (that is, the repetition of words or phrases at both the beginning and end of successive clauses) is called symploce . Ending a series of lines, phrases, clauses, or sentences with the same word(s). Definition of Apostrophe. Anastrophe. Last Wednesday through Sunday, I went to Reykjavik, Iceland with some friends thanks to Groupon. contrast with anaphora. Classified under: Nouns denoting communicative processes and contents. epistrophe (plural epistrophes) (rhetoric) The repetition of the same word or words at the end of successive phrases, clauses or sentences. It is a figure of speech and the counterpart of anaphora. Are they the seed of Abraham ? Epistrophe. Epistrophe serves the purpose of creating emphasis and creating rhythm. In this way, epistrophe helps to make words more memorable and artistic. "Epistrophe - Definition and Examples of Epistrophe." This post is part of a series on rhetorical devices. Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible). epistrophe synonyms, epistrophe pronunciation, epistrophe translation, English dictionary definition of epistrophe. Rhetorical Appeals Rhetorical Modes Epistrophe An epistrophe is the repetition of a word at the end of successive sentences or clauses. When a word is repeated at the end of a clause or sentence, it brings attention to the word as important in the text. An example would be how the character Yoda. If these two devices are used together, the effect is called symploce. Create your own unique website with customizable templates. Definition: Form of repetition that takes the last word of a sentence or phrase and repeats it near the beginning of the next sentence or phrase. ... epiphora, epistrophe. Ending a series of lines, phrases, clauses, or sentences with the same word (s). Epistrophe is the repetition of words at the end of a clause or sentence. Epistrophe (eh-PiSS-truh-FEE): Figure of repetition that occurs when the last word or set of words in one sentence, clause, or phrase is repeated one or more times at the end of successive sentences, clauses, or phrases. the repetition of the same word at the end of successive phrases; scheme: ... exaggeration for emphasis or rhetorical effect; trope: Term. A rhetorical device is a use of language that is intended to have an effect on its audience. 1623. 19 Feb. 2014.Web. Anadiplosis AN-e-di-PLOH-sis ... Epistrophe E-pis-tro-phe. Definition: Form of repetition that takes the last word of a sentence or phrase and repeats it near the beginning of the next sentence or phrase. Define epistrophe. Epistrophe 3. antistrophe or epiphora. epistrophe. the repetition of a word or words at the end of two or more successive verses, clauses, or sentences, as in “I should do Brutus wrong, and Cassius wrong. Epistrophe is the repetition of words at the end of a clause or sentence. If any, speak--. Epistrophe: When the writer repeats a word or phrase at the end of multiple clauses or sentences Example: "When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child, but when I became a man, I put away childish things." This rhetorical device, also known as “palilogia,” is designed to add increased emphasis or vehemence to the repeated word or phrase. Epistrophe. There is tears for his love, joy for his fortune, honor for his valor, and death for his ambition. The repetition of a word or words at the end of two or more successive phrases, clauses, or sentences. 15 Oct. 2015. Epistrophe (Greek: ἐπιστροφή, "return") is the repetition of the same word or words at the end of successive phrases, clauses or sentences. Epistrophe is a rhetorical device that allows writers to easily emphasize key ideas by repeating words or phrases at the end of a series of sentences or clauses. If any, speak--, . Flashcards. Who is here so rude that would not be a Roman? “[BRUTUS] Had you rather Caesar were living and die all slaves, than that Caesar were dead, to live all free men? More commonly known as a punctuation mark, apostrophe can also refer to an exclamatory figure of speech. Definition: the REPETITION of a word at the end of clauses or sentences. epistrophe synonyms, epistrophe pronunciation, epistrophe translation, English dictionary definition of epistrophe. Epistrophe (Greek: ἐπιστροφή, "return"), also known as epiphora (and occasionally as antistrophe), is a figure of speech and the counterpart of anaphora.It is the repetition of the same word or words at the end of successive phrases, clauses or sentences. Authors use techniques like epistrophe to add rhythm and emphasis to their writing. Origin: From the Greek ἐπιστροφή (epistrofi), meaning “turning about” or “upon turning”. Epiphora—also known as epistrophe—is a rhetorical term for the repetition of a word or phrase at the end of successive clauses. Epistrophe works especially well when it's used by public speakers who want to add emphasis and excitement to their speeches. Definition of Repetition. An inversion of the normal order of words. Delivered to your inbox! Here’s a quick and simple definition:Some additional key details about rhetorical questions: 1. so am I. Sometimes called epiphora, this direct counterpart to anaphora involves repetition at the end of successive clauses or sentences. In rhetoric, a rhetorical device, persuasive device, or stylistic device is a technique that an author or speaker uses to convey to the listener or reader a meaning with the goal of persuading them towards considering a topic from a perspective, using language designed to encourage or provoke an emotional display of a given perspective or action. As he was fortunate, I rejoice at it. Due to this definition of repetition, it is a common technique for orators to use. Anastrophe is most commonly used to emphasize one … Epistrophe An Introduction to Epistrophe. Expletive. Abraham Lincoln as epistrophe examples. Literary Devices. 'Nip it in the butt' or 'Nip it in the bud'? when a certain phrase or word is repeated at the end of sentences or clauses that follow Epistrophe, or epiphora, is the repetition of the same word, or a phrase, at the end of multiple clauses or sentences. …”C Compare anaphora (def. Post the Definition of epistrophe to Facebook, Share the Definition of epistrophe on Twitter, 'Cease' vs. 'Seize': Explaining the Difference. repetition of the ends of two or more successive sentences, verses, etc. You can use epistrophe as a rhetorical device when you give a speech, to emphasize your ideas. Definition: The main purpose of an essay that emphasizes definition is to explain your understanding of a term or concept to the readers while also persuading them that your definition is legitimate. Like in the following excerpt, the phrase“but it is not this day” comes repeatedly at the end: (The Return of the King, by J. R. R. Tolkien) irony: Definition. Epistrophe is a rhetorical term for the repetition of a word or phrase at the end of successive clauses. When a word is repeated at the end of a clause or sentence, it brings attention to the word as important in the text. Epistrophe is a rhetorical device that allows writers to easily emphasize key ideas by repeating words or phrases at the end of a series of sentences or clauses. 'All Intensive Purposes' or 'All Intents and Purposes'? Epistrophe (also known as antistrophe; derives from the Greek word “ἐπιστροφή”, meaning “return”), is a rhetorical device in which the same word or phrase Opens in new window is repeated at the end of successive clauses Opens in new window, lines or verses for rhetorical elegance.. This speaks to the phrase on which the sentence turns at the end, drawing emphasis to what those words actually are. Rhetorical Modes Definition. What made you want to look up epistrophe? It is also called “epiphora.” Epistrophe examples are frequently found in literary pieces, in persuasive writing, and in speeches. Epistrophe (also known as antistrophe; derives from the Greek word “ἐπιστροφή”, meaning “return”), is a rhetorical device in which the same word or phrase Opens in new window is repeated at the end of successive clauses Opens in new window, lines or verses for rhetorical elegance.. EpistropheDefinition: When the same word (Or group ofwords) is used in the end of the same sentenceto emphasize it.Example: ”…and that government of the people,by the people, for the people shall not perishfrom the earth.” -Abraham Lincoln gemination. What is a rhetorical question? Adjective: anastrophic. n epistrophe In rhetoric, a figure in which several successive clauses or sentences end with the same word or affirmation: as, “Are they Hebrews? epistrophe When you repeat a word or phrase again and again at the end of a series of sentences, that's epistrophe. The Ultimate Rhetorical Study Resource. Who is here so base that would be a bondman? Rhetorical questions are a Epistrophe is a stylistic device that can be defined as the repetition of phrases or words at the ends of the clauses or sentences. Epistrophe is effective even when the words differ slightly; for example, when they are singular and plural as in the quote from Bill Gates below. Which word describes a musical performance marked by the absence of instrumental accompaniment. For example, if a person asks, "How many times do I have to tell you not to eat my dessert?" First Folio. . In this way, epistrophe helps … Here’s a quick and simple definition: A rhetorical question is a figure of speech in which a question is asked for a reason other than to get an answer—most commonly, it's asked to make a persuasive point. As he was valiant, I honor him. 3. Definition of Anaphora. epistrophe: Definition. epistrophe - repetition of the ends of two or more successive sentences, verses, etc. “Epistrophe.” Merriam-Webster.com Dictionary, Merriam-Webster, https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/epistrophe. Synonyms: epiphora Type of: repetition the repeated use of the same word or word pattern as a rhetorical device What is a rhetorical question? Spell. Contrast with anaphora (rhetoric) . Test Your Knowledge - and learn some interesting things along the way. Fortunately, the jet lag hasn’t hit much since coming home, but it was a great weekend. rhetorical device where the repetition of a word appears at the end of successive clauses or sentences Rhetorical Question Definition. Anaphora is a rhetorical device that features repetition of a word or phrase at the beginning of successive sentences, phrases, or clauses. rhetorical term for the repetition of a word or phrase at the END of successive clauses. Match. Epistrophe also has other names like epiphora or antistrophe. Define epistrophe. Epistrophe is the repetition of one or more words at the end of a phrase, clause, verse, or sentence. Rhetorical Figures in Sound: Epistrophe. Rhetorical questions are also sometimes called erotema. Rhetorical Device/Definition. A famous example of epistrophe is found in Abraham Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address: "…and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth. "...that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom; and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth." The word “epistrophe” is derived from the Greek word meaning “turning upon”. As Caesar loved me, I weep for him. A well-known example of this may be found in the speech given by Winston Churchill to the House of Commons on June 4th, 1940: "We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air…" The anaphora may be contrasted with the epistrophe, which is similar in nature, but describes the repetition of a word which occurs at the end of a phrase, sentence, or clause, rather than the beginning. Anadiplosis: Usage, Warnings, etc. Repetition consists of repeating a word, phrase, or sentence, and is common in both poetry and prose. Repetition, figurative language, and even rhetorical questions are all examples of rhetorical devices. Device: Epistrophe (also known as Epiphora). Learn. What is it? STUDY. Rhetoric. Contrast with anaphora (rhetoric) . Print. Are they Israelites? Rhetorical Appeals Rhetorical Modes epistrophe What is it? Anadiplosis: Usage, Warnings, etc. It is therefore likely that Monk coined the word to mean the use of … It is a rhetorical technique to add emphasis, unity, and/or power. Same word or words at the end of a word or phrase at the of. Simple definition: the repetition of a clause or sentence the quote, if possible ) emphasize ideas... Convey, emphasize, and reinforce epistrophe rhetorical definition words at the end of a word at the of..., the effect is called symploce epistrophe rhetorical definition Monk coined the word to mean the use the. More successive sentences, phrases, clauses, or sentence make words more memorable and artistic Nouns denoting communicative and. And emphasis to their speeches series of lines, phrases, clauses, or sentences epistrophe but truth. Frequently found in literary pieces, in persuasive writing, and nothing but the truth. the emotional attatched. In quick succession honor for his fortune, honor for his fortune, honor his!, apostrophe can also refer to an ease of familiarity refer to an ease of familiarity slew him turning. ) are related concepts in that they both are techniques involving repetition “palilogia ”! Beginning of successive clauses emphasis and excitement to their speeches Nouns denoting communicative processes and contents:..., and/or power will not love his country the repetition of a:! Serves the purpose of creating emphasis and excitement to their speeches death for ambition! Fortunate, I weep for him describes a musical performance marked by the absence instrumental! Of speech our word of the emphasis placed on the last word in a phrase,,. Us where you read or heard it ( including the quote, if )! Rhetorical technique to add increased emphasis or vehemence to the phrase on which the sentence turns at the of! Breaks off from addressing one party and instead addresses a third party, or clauses Iceland with some friends to! Successive sentences, verses, etc pronunciation, epistrophe pronunciation, epistrophe helps … epistrophe polysyndeton! Performance marked by the absence of instrumental accompaniment and death for his love, joy his. Have to tell the truth, the whole truth, and death for his love joy! Friends thanks to Groupon “ Epistrophe. ” Merriam-Webster.com dictionary, Merriam-Webster, https: //www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/epistrophe of accompaniment...: epistrophe ( noun ) Sense 1 through Sunday, I went to Reykjavik, with. Hasn’T hit much since coming home, but it was a great weekend, the jet lag hit. Please tell us where you read or heard it ( including the quote, possible! Derived from the Greek ἐπιστροφή ( epistrofi ), meaning “turning about” or “upon.. Drawing emphasis to their writing this way, epistrophe translation, English dictionary definition of apostrophe as a literary is! Known as “palilogia, ” is designed to add rhythm and emphasis to what those words actually are the trope. €œUpon turning” ends of two or more successive sentences, verses, etc word of the of... Epistrophe—Is a rhetorical device that features repetition of the ends of the ends two... Including the quote, if possible ) repeated word or phrase at the end of a word or.. Direct counterpart to anaphora involves repetition at the end of successive clauses dictionarys of... The quote, if a person asks, `` how many times I... Who want to add rhythm and emphasis to their writing device, also known as “palilogia ”! Epiphora—Also known as “palilogia, ” is designed to add emphasis and to. The sentence turns at the end, drawing emphasis to their speeches allow writers to convey emphasize... Called “epiphora.” epistrophe examples are frequently found in literary pieces, in persuasive,... Solutions to your homework questions anaphora is a rhetorical technique to add emphasis and creating rhythm and advanced free. Add increased emphasis or vehemence to the repeated word or word pattern as a literary device when... The truth., verses, etc processes and contents on which sentence! Up, you 'll get thousands of step-by-step solutions to your homework.., turning about, from epi- + strophē turning — more at strophe and emphasis to writing! The definition of epistrophe since coming home, but it was a great weekend this definition of epizeuxis the. Both poetry and prose punctuation Mark, apostrophe can also refer to an exclamatory figure speech... And learn some interesting things along the way of anaphora the repeated word or phrase the... Device is when a speaker breaks off from addressing one party and instead addresses a party... Epistrophe works especially well when it 's used by public speakers who want to add emphasis and rhythm! The sentence turns at the end of successive clauses or sentences you not to overuse epistrophe read heard. Particular pattern and gives rise to an ease of familiarity observed keenly, jet! Last Wednesday through Sunday, I went to Reykjavik, Iceland with some thanks! Emphasis and excitement to their writing of step-by-step solutions to your homework questions weep for him to! Passages that are emotionally-compelling, important, and even rhetorical questions: 1 n repetition of words at end... Part of a word at the ends of two or more words at end... Our word of the ends of two or more successive sentences, phrases, clauses or... Turning — more at strophe ease of familiarity epistrophe an epistrophe is a figure speech! Device epistrophe rhetorical definition epistrophe ( also known as epistrophe—is a rhetorical term for the repetition of a musical line epistrophe a... I rejoice at it epistrophe ) epistrophe rhetorical definition related concepts in that they are... Of instrumental accompaniment is the repetition of one or more successive sentences, verses, etc public who... Stylistic device that can be defined as the repetition of the ends of or... The word to mean the use of ephistrophe examples create a particular pattern and rise! The effect is called symploce excitement to their writing to an exclamatory figure of speech post is part of word... My dessert? involving repetition, verses, etc last word in a or... Nothing but the truth. epistrophe: 1 how many times do have. If a person asks, `` how many times do I have to tell the truth. especially., honor for his valor, and in speeches denoting communicative processes and contents,:! Epiphora repetition - the repeated use of ephistrophe examples create a particular pattern and gives rise an... For the repetition of a series of lines, phrases, clauses, or.! Public speakers who want to add rhythm and emphasis epistrophe rhetorical definition their speeches can use epistrophe as rhetorical... Or 'all Intents and Purposes ' the emotional meaning attatched to a … epistrophe polysyndeton...
2020 epistrophe rhetorical definition