Africa game hate being lung shot - they will punish you by fleeing into the darkest, thorn laced brush they can find. Office: 011 27 82 207 7576. Kudu Shot Placement Guide - Kudu Hunting Tip: Horn tips pointing back usually indicate a young adult. An arrow tucked behind the shoulder may be perfect placement for an Elk, but on most African animals will result a single lung or “paunch” hit. If you go a little higher, you will probably hit the lungs, which will require some tracking. Hornady SST and does not shoot unless he is certain of a brain shot. On a 90 degrees side-on shot the easiest for the new hunter is to move the crosshairs up the front edge of the lower leg to just above the bulge of the shoulder (or a horisontal line on its level) while breathing in. With a foreign client the PH would retire into hiding and wait for the 52" bull on the left to step around for a clear shot - but I remember when I took these photos the right hand one fled at the sound of the camera, and this from about 70 meter and me being in the shade. I always think the disadvantage of the Kudu Shot Placement Guide - Kudu Hunting Tip: Horn tips pointing back usually indicate a young adult. Updated: Jul 17. WILDEBEEST SHOT PLACEMENT. The high heart/lung shot is the ticket here. I marked the aiming point in red here but it was too late for a shot as he is in the process of taking off at speed. Lion. a Well placed shot will mean the difference between a trophy in the bag and a wounded animal running in the bush. Add the length of each horn and the circumference of the bases to get your score SCI score. The … Nov 17, 2014 - Explore Pin Lover's board "9 Shot placement", followed by 1749 people on Pinterest. Kudu vital organs for shot placement. Apart from the medium (deer size) game like blesbok and impala, kudu no doubt is the most sought after big game by locals as well as visiting hunters. The one-rifle hunter here overwhelmingly uses the .308W with 180 gr best quality bullets. Shot placement when Kudu hunting is very important: you won’t get many good shots on these elusive animals, so it’s best to make the most of the ones you do get. Shot Placement (2): Kudu. The shoulder bones angle forward above the leg. The neck or head shot can ruin a trophy so rule it out! Post navigation Hunting Oryx in Namibia. Look at the bull on the left trying to identify me 70 yards away, hidden in deep shade. Cape Buffalo. He prefers 150 gr Hornady bonded core bullets which is good for the long shots of 200-300 yards he needs to do in the desert like Karoo area. Everything you did in preparation for the safari was in preparation for that one pull of the trigger. Shot Placement. If you hit a little bit higher you will take out the lungs. Jurassica Art - Original Acrylic Paintings, Prints & Wall Art. SPRINGBOK SHOT PLACEMENT. This shot will hit the heart or lungs and a kudu hit as indicated with a high powered rifle cartridge will not run very far at all. Anatomy and shot placement on African animals is different than on North American big game. Apr 16, 2015 #7 I started on 6.5 x 55 before I got my 9.3 x 62. Breathing out will lower the crosshairs and stop the breath at the bulge or its line and squeeze the trigger. One of the largest antelope species, the Greater Kudu is an elegant woodland antelope found throughout Eastern and Southern Africa. The vitals of most African plains game sit further forward in their chest cavity than American big game. Similar Images . Those radar antennae ears aimed at me do not miss any foreign sound so a loud safety catch is a liability. Both these bulls have 48" horns but the one on the right which is the safe shot has a deeper curl and may be 48.5" - 49". try africahunting.com forum some good stuff on shot placement HUNTING Kudu | AfricaHunting.com . The neck or head shot can ruin a trophy so rule it out! Price On Request . The most effective and lethal shot placement is a brain shot. Here are the ones for the Kudu. The bull went 40 meter and died running. In dense savannah and more so in dense tropical habitat the visistor must resign himself to heed the shot placement advice from his PH. Price On Request. Wounded Kudu! Shifeta stands firm over ivory trade; US Leopard Importation Lawsuit ; More News... Articles.505 Gibbs; Transitioning To A Blaser R8 - A Two Months / 500 Rounds Review; The Kudu; A Thief In The Night! Bring your sights directly up the foreleg about one third into the body and squeeze; this shot effectively takes out the plumbing from the heart and your kudu will not go far. A lung shot is a lung shot, but trust us, these critters are extra tough. Big Five - South Africa. Set your sight approximately one third up the from the foreleg and pull the trigger. As with all hunting, shot placement is more important than caliber. Kudu have a rather large area covering the vital organs for adequate shot placement. S. smullery Well-Known Member. Kudu Shot Placement Guide - Kudu Hunting Tip: Horn tips pointing back usually indicate a young adult. Just remember to adjust your shot placement if the animal is presenting a quartering shot. The neck or head shot can give the taxidermist much more work, so don’t take it unless no other shot presents itself. Fortunately, Kudu aren’t nearly as tough as Cape Buffalo or Blue Wildebeest and will not go far if hit properly. Similar Images . In fact that would be about the worst combination that can be imagined as it may not even reach the heart, breaking up on the shoulder joint and the rib cage as its own high kinetic energy level destroys it in an act of suicide. Elephant. However, they are pretty big, so shot placement is still important. We recommend a traditional shoulder shot when hunting Kudu. In the shot above, the bullet will break the inside shoulder, pass through the ribs, take out the top of the heart, pass through an opposite rib, break the opposite elbow and either pass through or stop against the skin. Browse the Bookshelf mini-site for thousands of African hunting books and much more.... Shakari Connection is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. The high heart/lung shot is the ticket here. As for shot placement, I avoid heart shots on kudu – as I do for most African game – and go either straight up the leg (for a pinning shoulder shot), or, in ideal circumstances, for the neck. #100373256 - A kudu with screw horns and white stripes in the Kruger National.. Re: Shot Placement. My biggest kudu was shot at 110 meter with a borrowed old 6.5x58 Portuguese Mauser in very much the same stance as the one above and the long 160 gr round nose solid bullet passed through and was gone. An animal shot in the heart/lung area doesn’t react this way. On a broadside shot take aim a third way up the body in line with the front leg. Kudu have a rather large area covering the vital organs for adequate shot placement. Lioness. TSESSEBE SHOT PLACEMENT. Add to Likebox #129412335 - Beautiful make kudu in the wild. Jul 15, 2014 - Kudu Shot Placement Guide - Kudu Hunting Tip: Horn tips pointing back usually indicate a young adult. The kudu is no different, you need to make that first shot count. USA: 1-469-559-2669 Pick a spot several inches forward of where you would on a similar sized North American game animal. Jerome Philippe , Founder of AfricaHunting.com Breathing out will lower the crosshairs and stop the breath at the bulge or its line and squeeze the trigger. On a 90 degrees side-on shot the easiest for the new hunter is to move the crosshairs up the front edge of the lower leg to just above the bulge of the shoulder (or a horisontal line on its level) while breathing in. Africa's Sporsman Magazine and Channel Contact: +27 (012 348 5550) Email: hennie@africassportsman.com 960 St Bernard Drive, Garsfontein, Pretoria, South Africa, 0018 From $10,500. Professional Hunters will discuss shot placement before your hunt, but good reference books are available and are recommended for the first time Africa Hunter. Bring your sights directly up the foreleg about one third into Bulls weigh 190-270 kg (420-600 lb), with a maximum of 315 kg (694 lb), and stand up to 160 cm (63 in) tall at the shoulder. Contact Us. South Africa: Drom: 011 27 72 118 4800 Sune: 011 27 79 873 5154. As with all species, when hunting kudu, shot placement is paramount. The hunter didn’t expect that. When the animal is standing broadside, simply aim at the center of the shoulder, approximately one third of the way up the body (this goes for both rifle and bow hunters). See more ideas about Africa hunting, Bow hunting, Hunting tips. Warthog Hunting Story With Bayly Sippel Safaris; Buffalo Hunt For The Books! Bring your sights directly up the foreleg about one third into Shot Placement. When the animal is standing Kudu Trophy Hunting . I previously wrote about the correct placement for African animals – and the response and remarks have been interesting – from “I didn’t know” to “I haven’t been taught that” to the gung-ho attitude of “I will just bring a bigger cannon”… But let me share some of the stories Supporter. The neck or head shot can ruin a trophy so rule it out! Bring your sights directly up the foreleg about one third into the body and squeeze; this shot effectively takes out the plumbing from the heart and your kudu will not go far. Drom & Sune Beukes. The neck or head shot can ruin a trophy so rule it out! Shot Placement If you're after a good kudu trophy, you will want to avoid head and neck shots. KUDU SHOT PLACEMENT. Anatomically similar to nyala, bongo and sitatunga. Similar Images . Shot Placement for Trophy Kudu Hunting in Africa As with all hunting, shot placement is more important than caliber. Download SA Price List 0. I stalked him well but as I focused the camera on coming out from behind a dense brush he sensed me and took off. A shot to the neck or head is out of the question due to the possibility of ruining the trophy. Mature bulls have tips which point up or out. The neck or head shot can give the taxidermist much more work, so don’t take it unless no other shot presents itself. Mature bulls have tips which point up or out More ideas for you As with all African species, shot placement is vital when hunting for a trophy kudu. LEOPARD SHOT PLACEMENT. Apart from the medium (deer size) game like blesbok and impala, kudu no doubt is the most sought after big game by locals as well as visiting hunters. No experience of the grand slams though no doubt there good though. Mature As with all species, when hunting kudu, shot placement is paramount. It is almost always best to attempt a traditional shoulder shot on a Kudu. By the End of May I would like to be 100% sure that I can Identify good shot placement on a Kudu and an Impala. WATERBUCK SHOT PLACEMENT. When the animal is standing broadside, simply aim at the center of … Come straight up the front leg on a broadside shot. The SST is no good for a heart shot into the shoulder as it has as litte integrity as a Nosler Ballistic Tip. View Profile View Forum Posts Private Message User Join Date Aug 2010 Location Port Elizabeth Age 52 Posts 9,228. Kudu Shot Placement Guide - Kudu Hunting Tip: Horn tips pointing back usually indicate a young adult. The high heart/lung shot is the ticket here. Thank You Singh17 28-03-2016, 21:49 #2. treeman. Price On Request. As a rule of thumb and with all other factors being equal, the quickest reference for shot placement on an animal standing in a broadside position is to go up on the front leg of the animal with the crosshair and to stop and take aim approximately one third up from the bottom of the animals chest. As with all species, when hunting kudu, shot placement is paramount. The minimum score under Safari Club International for an Eastern Cape kudu is 98. With best quality bullets meat and skin damage will be negligible. At the white mark there is not even lung - no vital organ at all. Most stuff I have shot with the Swede. He moves closer and to his dismay the kudu started struggling to get up and before the hunter can give it a finishing shot, it disappears into the bush. Search. Now available, the African Hunter Shot Placement Field Guide is A6 in size (147mm x 105mm: approx 5.7" x 4.1") and contains shot placement drawings for the 16 most commonly hunted big game and plains game species with On a broadside shot take aim a third way up the body in line with the front leg. Kudu is not particular tough though, so larger calibers are not considered necessary either. ZEBRA SHOT PLACEMENT. At the shot the bull will partly fall into the bullet, correct himself, swing out right into the dense bush and will be dead within 20-50 yards. The minimum SCI score for a Southern Greater Kudu is 121. As with all species, when hunting kudu, shot placement is paramount. Shot placement and equipment Equipment: A bow of 70-pound draw weight should be used on kudu with an arrow of between 450 to 500 grains. A wounded Cape buffalo, bushbuck, blue wildebeest, nyala and sable will do their best to kill you there. I now carry my 9.3 and my … Here are the ones for the Kudu. A high heart/lung shot is preferred. Shot Placement for Trophy Kudu Hunting in Africa. As a rule of thumb and with all other factors being equal, the quickest reference for shot placement on an animal standing in a broadside position is to go up on the front leg of the animal with the crosshair and to stop and take aim approximately one third up from the bottom of the animals chest. The high heart/lung shot is the ticket here. Come straight up the front leg on a broadside shot. The diaphragm will be perforated causing a lingering death. Shot placement. An animal shot in the heart/lung area doesn’t react this way. It is because the typical US shot placement misses the heart on a gemsbok or kudu or wildebeest - and often the lungs too. He moves closer and to his dismay the kudu started struggling to get up and before the hunter can give it a finishing shot, it disappears into the bush. MEAT CUTS. The high heart/lung shot is the ticket here. Bring your sights directly up the foreleg about one third into the body and squeeze; this shot effectively takes out the plumbing from the heart and your kudu will not go far. Large Work Animal Art Leopard Africa Big Wild Cat Hunt Jungle. Your Eastern Cape kudu bull trophy should have an average shoulder height of around 54 inches, weigh about 340 pounds, and have a Horn Length of approximately 43 – 47 inches. Rhinoceros. And when only the lungs of Africa game are hit the damage to critical life sustaining systems is small. Price On Request. Broadside shot. Kudu Shot Placement Luckily, Kudu aren’t particularly tough animals. We will start early in the morning by searching for the big herds on the back of a 4×4 land cruiser. A local hunter will have his .308W or 30-06 with 180 gr best quality bonded core like Federal Fusion, or Peregrine VRG-3 flat nose monolithic controlled expansion bullets. Jul 15, 2014 - Kudu Shot Placement Guide - Kudu Hunting Tip: Horn tips pointing back usually indicate a young adult. Shot placement is probably the most important factor in hunting. This will be a heart shot. This is why we recommend that you use the heaviest caliber rifle that you are comfortable shooting however if your confident with a smaller caliber for the medium sized animals then bring that along. Other popular cartridges for kudu is .303 Brit, 8x57 Mauser, 7x57 Mauser and 6.5x57 Mauser. The neck or head shot can ruin a trophy so rule it out! SABLE SHOT PLACEMENT. The exact placement of the shot is determined by two important factors: ... At the shot the kudu falls down on the spot! A wounded kudu is is not a killer but a master at camouflage and hiding in dense habitat. By default he does not want meat spoilage, shoots for the heart top chambers because he does not want adrenaline infused meat as happens with a fleeing, lung shot animal, and he wants to hunt big and small game with the same rifle and often the same weight bullets. As with all species, when hunting kudu, shot placement is paramount. Behind them is very dense bush and a lung shot will make for a challenging and time consuming follow-up. When the kudu is standing broadside to you, aim at the center of the shoulder about one third of the way up the body. Come up the foreleg about a third of the body, then move the crosshairs just behind the leg. On a quartering to shot, aim for the front of the shoulder also a third up from the bottom of the body. The shoulder bones angle forward above the leg. This shot will hit the heart or lungs and a kudu hit as indicated with a high powered rifle cartridge will not run very far at all. Place the shot right on the shoulder of the kudu in line with the front leg, one third of the way up from the bottom of the chest to the top of the back. The 45" bull on the right is typically what the local meat hunter will go for. Once we spot some at a distance we will get off and do a stalk. WARTHOG SHOT PLACEMENT. Professional Hunters will discuss shot placement before your hunt, but good reference books are available and are recommended for the first time Africa Hunter. Shot placement and equipment Equipment: A bow of 70-pound draw weight should be used on kudu with an arrow of between 450 to 500 grains. Shot placement is key when harvesting these great animals. A 300 Win Mag is a good shooter but needs a 220 gr bullet to properly exploit all that case capacity. Their vitals sit low on both, also their spines sit very low on the neck. No part of this website may be reproduced for publication without written permission. The neck or head shot can ruin a trophy so rule it out! Kudu Nyala Rhinoceros Springbok Warthog Wildebeest All shot placement images courtesy of AfricaHunting.com. The high heart/lung shot is the ticket here. I shot for the forward 1/3rd of the body and aimed in the middle. Trans Species 'man' who identifies as a deer shot by hunters. Shot placement. The high heart/lung shot is the ticket here. This is one of the largest species of antelope. Mature bulls have tips which point up or out Buffalo Shot Placement Guide - Buffalo Hunting Tip: A buffalo's position is often If you're after a good kudu trophy, you will want to avoid head and neck shots. Kudu are known for being very elusive and shy, so when you get a good shot on one, you’d better make it count. This hunter was “well-prepared”, his equipment was prepared properly and he used a rest to get a more stable shooting position. The younger son has a Musgrave 30-06, and because he only hunts plains game (black wildebeest, blesbok, springbok) he uses 150 gr. All rights reserved. Mature bulls have tips which point up or out Well-constructed two or three-blade broadheads will work well – remembering that penetration is usually better with a two-blade broadhead. This is however the most dangerous and irresponsible option as the chance of wounding the animal is very high. So, like all other game, local hunters from teenage years are trained to shoot for the heart top chambers - or the brain if there is no need to save the cape and if it is open country. Set your sight approximately one third up the from the foreleg and pull the trigger. African Hunter Shot Placement App; African Hunter Shot Placement Guide ; Shot … Kudu Shot Placement. African Rainforest Hunting Clothes & Gear, CITES, ESA, EU Appendices & Hunting Quota Table, Jet-Lag Remedies & Longhaul Flight Survival, David Whyman's African Crystal Engravings, Dr Enrique Lacuesta's African Watercolor Art. Oil painting. Aim just behind the foreleg and one-third up the body. Kudu Shot Placement Luckily, Kudu aren’t particularly tough animals. Only Eland have I NOT used the Swede on. Hunting with a Bow: The Greater Kudu One of the largest antelope species, the Greater Kudu is an elegant woodland antelope found throughout Eastern and Southern Africa. As with all species, when hunting kudu, shot placement is paramount. DL, We have shot placement images specifically for Bowhunting Shot Placement. A lung shot Oryx on the open savannah of the Kalahari will feint death and put a long horn through the unwary hunter. Their brown-grey coat is broken up by 4 to 12 vertical white stripes along their torsos and a white chevron between the eyes. Kudu Shot Placement Guide - Kudu Hunting Tip: Horn tips pointing back usually indicate a young adult. We recommend a traditional shoulder shot when hunting Kudu. The Eastern Cape Kudu has smaller horns than their cousin, the Southern Greater Kudu. I must confess that when I started hunting all the sectioned animals showing their anatomy, was not available. Add to Likebox #108168677 - Young female kudu antelopes in safari park in South Africa. As with all species, when hunting kudu, shot placement is paramount. Anatomically similar to nyala, bongo and sitatunga. Shots at kudu will most likely be between 40 meter and 100 meter, so there is no need for a "flat shooting" .300 Win Mag with 150 gr plastic "ballistic tip" bullets. Hunting with a Bow: The Greater Kudu . Know … Kudu Shot Placement KUDU SHOT PLACEMENT Kudu Hunting Tip Horn tips pointing back usually indicate a young adult. Their brown-grey coat is broken up by 4 to 12 vertical white stripes along their torsos and a white chevron between the eyes. As with all species, when hunting kudu, shot placement is paramount. Back to what is a 100% suitable cartridge for Africa big game (elk size) - deer size game here are called "medium" or "small": probably the best starting point is to look what the one-rifle meat hunter uses here. When the kudu is standing broadside to you, aim at the center of the shoulder about one third of the way up the body. Leopard. Mature bulls have tips which point up or out Mature bulls have tips which point up or out Africa Hunting Elk Hunting Hunting Tips Hunting Rifles Safari Hunting Photography Predator Hunting Call Of The Wild Animal Games Fortunately, Kudu aren’t nearly as tough as Cape Buffalo or Blue Wildebeest and will not go far if hit properly. More Articles... Deals & offers. Quartering away shots Shot placement when hunting kudu in Africa is of paramount importance. Price On Request. Kudu shot placement You owe it to yourself and the animal to do everything possible to make a quick and ethical kill. Mature bulls have tips which point up or out Try and aim right on the shoulder in line with the middle of the front leg, one third of the way up from the bottom of the brisket to the top of the hump on the back. Pick a spot several inches forward of where you would on a similar sized North American game animal. As with all African species, shot placement is vital when hunting for a trophy kudu. As with most African animals, shot placement should always be in the bottom third of the shoulder.
2020 kudu shot placement